A couple of days back a snake was spotted in the colony in the evening ( us humans have encroached their homes!!) This is not an un common occurance. Now we have a system of calling a snake catcher; he usually arrives within 15 minutes. For catching snake, his service charges are Rs.100/ (ONE HUNDRED ONLY). Snake was spotted between two homes and a security guard arrived to help. He informed the residents that the snake catcher will handle the situation but he charges a small fee.
Now the interesting part.
There was a discussion between neighbours. Who will pay? After a long discussion it was concluded that unless people contribute, Rs.100/ cannot be raised. (Maybe too big an amount) End result nobody “contributed” and the snake moved back into his original dwelling in our colony and was saved a forced migration to snake catchers home.
Now the real point that I want to make.
- Nobody knew if the snake was poisonous. Snakes can go to any home irrespective of the fact if one contributes or not and if it were poisonous…..
- Was Rs.100/ really such a big amount to be discussed by people living in our colony?
- How to understand human nature ? When an event can affect your dear ones and still one does not take action because of Rs.100?
- I know that people living in my colony buy cars worth Rs.1 million or maybe more.
- They sometimes spend maybe Rs.10000/ for a dinner
- But why the same people could not give Rs.100/ to catch a dangerous snake?
Well probably this is human nature, the most complex thing in the universe.