You are in Tahiti with your beloved, lovely weather and a glass of your favourite poison is within your handshake. Consider you are watching Sachin Tendulkar batting at his prime, Roger Federer, Sachin’s friend, is sitting next to you and says. “Hey, Pramod, why don’t you come and watch Wimbledon next month and watch it along with Sachin.” You are out with your with wife and children and enjoying food and rides in the amusement park. You meet your college mates after a very long time and enjoying the camaraderie. How will you grade these scenarios?
It‘s tough, is it not tight to grade? Look at the world from an angle of inner satisfaction. Once we do that, grading will not be difficult. To me, the pleasures can be graded as below. The list is from number five to number one in quality of grading.
- Basic pleasures
- Basic joys like good food, good clothes are what brings universal pleasures.
- Then there are beautiful homes, lovely scenery.
- But don’t forget that HE has a significant role to play. The fruits could have been simple to look at full of vitamins and minerals. But they are made beautiful to look at too!
- Then there is sex; it is designed in such a way that physically it is nothing, but if two persons involved, love each other then they are on cloud nine!
- Enjoy all the physical aspects of the world.
- Money pleasures
- We all know what money can do in life and a lot of money can do a lot of things for you. But is it so important that we can give up on things that we love?
- Suppose someone offers you Ten crore Rupees. Against that the person tells you to handover one of your children forever; with the condition that you can never get in touch with your child. Will you do it? Never, you will never give up on your child whatever the offer.
- After you reach home, you will find that your son has spilt up Ketchup all over the kitchen and your daughter is crying because she is not allowed the pastry she loves. It takes an hour of persuasion to cool things down, but will you exchange your child screaming and howling included. No, never!
- Cause pleasures
- Suppose you come across a do or die situation in life. You are on the beach, and you find that someone is drowning. Without even thinking you jump in the water; you are an average swimmer, but you don’t think about it. The person is saved, you are tired and are resting, but the pleasure this act has given you, cannot be compared with worldly pleasures.
- I have read a story about Alfred Noble the inventor of dynamites. When his brother died, the local newspaper by mistake wrote his obituary. The piece talked about how much destruction dynamites had brought all over the world. Later the error was corrected, but Alfred was very much upset about the devastation caused by his invention, as written in the obituary. That is the story behind the birth of the Nobel prize.
- Creativity pleasure
- The world has seen what havoc was caused by Hitlers and Mussolinis of this world. They banned the freedom, they persecuted the Jews. They created a negative situation in the world like of which was never seen before by humanity. The war had to ultimately end, by dropping of atomic bombs, killing a large number of people. Dictators had a feeling that by putting people under control, there will be a utopia in this world.
- As against this, if you give freedom and allow people to create in any field, life itself is a pleasure. Creating babies and bringing them as a good human being is the greatest pleasure that one can have.
- To run an organisation, you need hierarchy, but that does not mean that you have a dictator, as a boss. You give freedom and people will create. Creativity gives pleasure and dictatorship leads to destruction.
- Many of the world’s wonders exist because the artists were given freedom.
- HIS pleasures
- Why is this the number one pleasure? Do you remember HIM as per your convenience or daily?
- Do you say thank to HIM daily?
- Are you awed by HIM?
- Any situation or event in life is due to HIM. To show gratitude to HIM is the greatest pleasure in this world; whatever good or bad that happens in this world is because of HIM.
- Imagine birth of any species. Without HIM, there would be many complications. In the ordinary course, HE has made such a complicated process of birth, easy by HIS design.
- Once you learn to keep some time for HIM in your daily routine, it gives us tremendous pleasure and strength to wade through life.
- Since everything is in His control, we never feel like asking a question, why me? It teaches us to accept life as it comes, good or bad, happy or sad!
- Living your normal life, you can reach a spiritual phase.
- A Picasso or a Tagore, A Tendulkar or a Federer are His doings. All these greats have His signature.
- Now that we have some understanding of the different types of pleasures, I will leave it to you to grade them in your way. Each person thinks differently, you need not agree with my grading.
Try and get genuine pleasure and avoid pseudo pleasures. I had mentioned in one of my blogs, sex is a pure pleasure but watching porn is a pseudo pleasure. There is one more similar example. Cash carrying van had a problem with its back door, and bank notes fell off the truck. People ran and collected as many notes as possible. But there was one man who could collect Rs. Fifty thousand. He took the notes and handed them over to the authorities. Who had more pleasure? Those who ran away with the money or the person who returned the money? Take your call; my opinion is the person who returned the dough had more pleasure.
Know what you’re living for. The Almighty created us to have pleasure. It’s hard work to be an Olympic runner, and it’s even harder work to become a champion human being. But you weren’t born for comfort. You were born to have pleasure. So make a decision — travel first class.